There’s nothing like a warm hearty stew for the cold winter months especially in the UK right now. Venison is going back to our roots and chocolate with venison is such a great combination made in heaven. This Paleo diet for beginners recipe will warm you up and also keep your hoc late cravings satiated.
Paleo Diet For Beginners Recipe – Dark Chocolate Venison Stew
I opt for local organic venison. The herbs as vegetables are from my local market to keep it as organic as possible and least amount of exposure to chemicals and preservatives. You can swap the bacon for turkey bacon if you wish.
This is one of those dishes that does require a bit of attention to make in stages but is a great meal for the whole family.
This recipe serves 4. Has a prep time of about 30 minutes and a total cooking time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
The whole dish for 4 people contains
Coconut oil cooking fat
0.5 lb bacon chopped
2.5 lbs venison leg or shoulder cut into large cubes.
2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 celery sticks chopped
1 small rutabaga chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cups venison (or beef) stock
2 tsp vinegar
3 tbsp grated dark chocolate (to your taste)
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In an oven dish, fry bacons in cooking fat until brown (about 5 minutes usually) over a medium heat. Set aside
- Now fry the venison in a bit more cooking fat until brown and set aside (with bacon). About 5 minutes.
- Add more cooking fat to dish. Cook onion, garlic, celery, rutabaga with the thyme and bay leaves until onions are soft (about 7 minutes)
- Add the venison and bacon and pour some cooking wine red. Bring to a boil.
- Now pour in the stock and some salt and pepper to your taste and bring to a boil again.
- Cover and place in oven for 1.5 hours. This means the meat will be tender.
- Remove from oven. Remove bay leaves and thyme. Mix in vinegar and grated chocolate.
- Season a bit more with sal and pepper if required. Enjoy!!!
Here’s a Video Review
Other recipes to try out
What are your thoughts on this? Would love to hear from you in the comments below and maybe some pictures of what you have created?
PS – Before you start on the Paleo Diet, take moment to check out my free eBook. It will save you a ton of time as I share the mistakes I made first time round and how to fix them.
References and Inspirations